The Mustard Seed
Why do we need these buildings?
People who are chronically homeless are a priority in Calgary’s Plan to End Homelessness. By focusing its efforts on people who are homeless and providing them with their basic needs, The Mustard Seed is getting people and families out of emergency shelters and into homes of their own where they can thrive.
- Pay off the mortgages on two apartment buildings for adults experiencing poverty and homelessness (which allows The Mustard Seed to continue to offer low rents on a sustainable basis) and construct a new apartment building for families with low income.
- The existing buildings provide homes to a total of 244 people. The new building will be home to 20+ families.
- Tenants pay rent based on their income so that it’s affordable.
- The 224-unit 1010 Centre has furnished units including 22 barrier-free units, a community patio and 24-hour security. Each floor also has a community room with a kitchen, couches and television and laundry facilities.
- The 20-unit apartment building is home to people who have graduated from The Mustard Seed’s programs.
- The Employment Centre offers meaningful and sustainable employment opportunities for tenants with support of an Employment Coach.
- The Computer lab enables tenants to learn new skills and work on resumes.
- Free health care offered at the Support Centre including access to medical care, chiropractic services, haircuts, and a vitamin program.
- Spiritual care and development.
- 24-hour security and some housekeeping.
- Opportunities to make meals at a discount in the community kitchen.
*Rendering and project features are subject to change
“Everyone at The Mustard Seed understands that ending homelessness is more than just providing a roof over someone’s head. It is also about bringing people to a place of strength and independence. Our permanent supportive housing accomplishes that. Through RESOLVE we can provide a safe haven for men and women where they can receive support and assistance to achieve their individual goals.”— Stephen Wile, Chief Executive Officer
“Affordable housing offers life. Now I’m doing things I never thought I would do.”
View our other Partners:
Bishop O’Byrne Housing Association
Calgary Alpha House Society
Calgary Homeless Foundation
Calgary John Howard Society
Horizon Housing Society
Silvera for Seniors
The Mustard Seed
Trinity Place Foundation of Alberta